Talented software engineer, with a natural affinity for creating systems from code. I am passionate about problem solving, and really love working on projects that involve significant user experience aspects. I enjoy facing the challenges introduced by the modern era, where people interact with software on a level that is more personal than ever before.
I learn fast, respond positively to change, and work great in a team and with end users. Although I am definitely a hands-on software guy, I handle leadership roles and customer relations with ease.
Enterprise development with Java, SQL (Oracle / Postgres), REST, C++, XQuery, XSLT.
First class M.Eng. (Hons) degree in Software Engineering. (University of Wales, Aberystwyth)
A-Levels at “A” grade in Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, General Studies.
A/S-Level at “B” grade in Further Mathematics.
GCSEs at “A*” grade in Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology. “A” grade in English Language, English Literature, Physics, History, French, Latin, Ancient Greek.
April 2011 – December 2013, VocaLink (project for Valtech).
- Greenfield project to build a real-time payments system for the Singapore bank network.
- Enterprise project, with hard performance constraints, tough reliability requirements, and international scope.
November 2007 – April 2011, Yell.com (project for Valtech).
- Various Yellow Pages related projects, including B2B, search, presentation, and maps.
- Mixture of enterprise and web, with significant focus on user experience.
April 2007 – November 2007, Department for Work and Pensions (project for Valtech).
- UK Government project to update the internal software for managing pensions enquiries.
- Legacy software challenges, with Agile vs Waterfall tensions and end-user involvement.
November 2004 – April 2007, European Bank of Reconstruction and Development (project for Sinara).
- Enhancing and maintaining a distributed system for estimating bank risk metrics.
- Significantly improved system reliability, while meeting stringent uptime requirements.
October 2001 – September 2002, Imaginet.
- Dynamic bespoke website development for a range of business customers.
- A range of front-end and server-side projects, with research into new web technologies.
Andrew Rendell, Valtech. Project Lead at current employer.
Steve Dobb, Sinara. Director at previous employer.